OpenAthens is an access management platform that Touro College and University system is using to update how students, faculty and staff access the libraries' electronic resources. OpenAthens is more secure and reliable, and should resolve the problems that some users have experienced accessing resources off campus.
What will change?
Students, faculty and staff are now required to use their Touro credentials to access the library's resources regardless of whether they are on or off campus.
Access to the Sirota Library's online resources via OpenAthens is restricted to the faculty, students, and staff of TCOM and TCOP. A single sign in will give you access to all the library's electronic resources for eight hours.
The authentication process will differ based on whether resources are accessed via Touro's portal or directly from a content provider's website.
1. Open the Sirota Library's homepage in your browser.
2. Click on at the top of the screen.
3. Choose "With your TouroOne credentials".
4. Sign in to TourOne
Make sure to select "Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - Harlem and Middletown" (yes, even for TCOP).
5. Click on A-Z Database list in the center column.
6. Select a database by scrolling the alphabetical list or entering the name in on the right hand side.
For off-site authentication to the publishers’ platforms, you will now have to use your institutional credentials (username and password)
1. Navigate your way to a content provider's website. The experience will vary for each resource, but there will always be an option to log in with OpenAthens.
2. Find the "Sign in" or "Login" button on the content provider's website (typically located at the top right corner of the page).
3. If available, select OpenAthens as the sign in method or Federation and find or input "Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - Harlem and Middletown" in the organization box (yes, even for TCOP).
4. Enter your TouroOne username and password.
Due to the move to OpenAthens for our authentication our access to UptoDate is an ongoing issue.
1. Click on the three vertical dots in the upper right corner of your browser.
2. Choose "New incognito window" from the drop down menu.
3. Type either Lexicomp or UpToDate in the search bar.
4. Click on "OpenAthens Log In".
5. Input Touro in the organization bar and choose "Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - Harlem and Middletown" from the drop down menu.
6. Sign into TouroOne.
We have spoke at length with WoltersKluwer concerning this conflict, they have told us that they are working a resolution to allow UptoDate to work via OpenAthens, but that won't be implemented until Fall 2020.